J.D. Holiday

Hi! I'm Author & Illustrator, J.D. Holiday.

What's on my (smorgasbord! :) blog! ~MT SHOWS: The Authors' Words & Characters Gone Mad,  Independent Publishing News -- news from the book business ~ IN A NUT SHELL ~ :Articles about Writing and Art ~ :THE BOOK REPORT & :THE BOOK REPORT CLASSICS ~ Interviews With Authors and Illustrators ~ ARTWORK & Works In Progress ~ :Old Movies ~Shows on Red River Radio

The Return of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke

Reblogged from Jessica (HDB):
The Return of Zita the Spacegirl - Ben Hatke

SQUEE! And also... *sob*

This is the last book in the series, so that makes me a little sad. However it's also an amazing, and still open-ended, way to tie up what's happened so far! No spoilers, but this was action packed and fun. I love that nothing has changed despite Zita's many adventures. She's still strong, still giving, and still willing to save everyone, even if it means putting herself in danger. Friendship is a huge factor in these stories, and I love it!

True to form, the illustrations are amazing. Ben Hatke uses vibrant colors, and his panels always delight. I love the little notes of whimsy his characters have. Every single one is so different, and so interesting. Some cute, some creepy, all fascinating. Hatke has such a knack for drawing the reader in, and making them want to stay.

All of my favorite characters were back this time around too! I had missed them last book, so it was nice to see them back where they belonged. As I said before, Zita's main strength is in the friends she makes and the relationships she forges. After all, who can do anything entirely on their own?

Will there be more Zita? I desperately hope so. I'll miss her.